Can I put a 3.8 v6 engine in from a mustang? 2003 v6-4.0l...

Q: Can I put a 3.8 v6 engine in from a mustang?

asked by on December 22, 2016

Hi I have a 03 ford explorer xls with a blown motor and a 99 ford Mustang with blown Trans was wondering can I put the Mustang engine in the Explorer

Hi there:

Since the Mustang engine is smaller than the V6 Ford Explorer engine, i’d recommend against trying to do this type of engine swap. Although in theory, it should align fine with motor mounts, you’re going to have to change out transmission, flywheel and multiple driveline components in order for this to work correctly, You’ll also have to purchase a new ECU and have it programmed by a dealership in most cases for this type of engine swap. I’d recommend against trying to complete this; as there are more hurdles to jump that could cause multiple issues.