Car in gear, but not moving transmissions v8-5.3l avalanc...

Q: Car in gear, but not moving

asked by on February 12, 2016

My car is in gear, but it is not moving.

Hello. If you have a 4x4, it may be in neutral. Check to see how long it has been since you serviced the transmission filter and fluid. Then, ensure that your transmission fluid is full. At this point, the next thing to do is check to ensure that the cable on the shifter is moving. Have someone look underneath at the left side of the transmission to see if the cable and lever are moving while you move the shifter. If everything appears normal, then you may want to hire a qualified transmission specialist to properly diagnose your concern about your car not moving.