Q: My car is leaking brown fluid. I'm guessing it's transmission fluid.

asked by on May 29, 2017

So recently I noticed a small dot where I park my car, so I decided to put a white piece of paper under my car and it came out brown but didn't smell like oil. The spot only came from on spot and it was in the center near the engine, close to the transmission pan, so my guess it's the gaskets have gone bad or what can it be?

Hi there. Typically, ATF or automatic transmission fluid is a dark red color, while engine oil tends to start light brown and gets darker as it ages. If the leak is coming from the center of the motor, it could be coming from the transmission seal or perhaps an oil filter gasket or oil line or fitting that is damaged. The best way to know for certain where the leak is coming from is to have a professional mobile mechanic from our team come to your location and complete an oil / fluid leak inspection. This will allow them to isolate the source of the leak and recommend the right repairs.