Q: Turbo blow off valve

asked by on October 25, 2016

If I block off my BOV can/will that damage my turbo? I dont know if it's a bad thing some people say it can harm the turbo because it's sending back the built up pressure through the turbine to make the flutter noise, something like that. I ask because some companies even sell BOV block off kits. Idk a lot about turbos but I'd like to know if I were killing mine or not. And my reason for blocking off the BOV would be to make the flutter noise. Thank you!

Hello. The "blow-off-valve" or BOV, is a pressure-release valve designed to prevent over-pressurization of the engine, not the turbocharger itself. While hearing some of the sounds a turbo-charged engine makes while running through the gears is a most pleasant experience, allowing the engine to be over-pressurized in an unprotected manner is not a good thing. For example, driving up an extended uphill grade in an over-boosted condition will overheat the engine, the pistons and cylinder head in particular. Engine management will normally prevent damage by allowing the BOV to release pressure. If this does not occur, serious engine damage can result. Discuss your plans with a "tuner" or other turbocharging professional who can give you a complete picture of making modifications to your engine.