Q: Water pump going out

asked by on February 12, 2016

I believe that the water pump may be going out, or is clogged.

Hello. It is not clear how you determined having a bad water pump or clogged system. If the engine water temperature is higher than 220F, sometimes the symptoms can indicate a weak, or non-functioning thermostat. Newer water pumps have plastic impellers that often fatigue, causing them to just spin on the water pump shaft, causing a reduction in flow through the system. A partially-clogged radiator could also cause this problem. Taking your vehicle to a qualified technician and having the full cooling system diagnosed can insure proper repairs while not wasting money on replacing unneeded parts.