Q: I felt a jolt while driving - could it be a transmission issue?

asked by on November 16, 2016

I was driving on the highway at highway speed when I thought I was rear-ended. I checked my mirrors and no other drivers were near me. As I was trying to process what happened I felt the jolt again. I stopped and checked for any clues to what had happened. I didn't see any leaks or signs of trouble. I decided to drive the car back to my house just a few miles away. On the way home at about 40-50 mph an AT light came on next to the dash gear indicator and the gear indicator got stuck on 3. By the time I got home the car was smoking but not overheated there was transmission oil that had overflowed out of the tranny dip stick tube.

Hi. This is a good indication that the transmission has overheated and damaged a lot of the internal parts of the transmission. This could have been caused by low transmission fluid or extremely dirty transmission fluid causing a cloth in the transmission. Your transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced with a new one to fix this problem. I suggest you take your car to a local transmission shop to get it repaired. Unfortunately, here at YourMechanic we do not replace transmission. We could offer a second opinion by having these symptoms diagnosed by one of our mobile technicians in order to confirm my suspicions and suggest an accurate repair. Best of luck.