Q: Water leak from engine block

asked by on February 23, 2016

Water is pouring out of the passenger's side of the engine block. I cannot see exactly where the leak is coming from.

This might be from a freeze plug. Freeze plugs are metal plugs installed on the engine. These plugs are designed to come out if coolant starts to freeze in the engine block to avoid cracking the block. Over time, water eats away at the metal and the plugs leak. A mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can perform a pressure test of the cooling system and determine where the leak is exactly. I advise you to not drive the vehicle in its current condition to avoid overheating the engine. Overheating can have secondary damages that can be costly to repair.