Q: Acceleration problems in 2004 Toyota Solara

Hello...My car started having problems when it would loose acceleration then cut of while driving...once stopped, it would crank up and I would be on my way... Well since then I have had the computer replaced. The car will start and stay on , but once you press the gas petal it won't move...glide some but not accelerate. Fuel pump, spark plugs and coil packs have been replaced... No misfire, or knocking. I'm at my wits in....oh yeah the engine light is still on. What else could be wrong???

Your particular vehicle has an electronic throttle body that drives by wire, rather than a mechanical cable. The electronic throttle body relies on signals from the accelerator pedal to know how much to open or close the throttle plate. A problem with the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor, associated wiring, or a faulty throttle body motor could be the culprit. A quick test for this would be to have an assistant press and release the accelerator pedal, with the key on and the engine off, while you listen closely for the sound of the throttle plate moving. If you can’t hear it moving then there is a problem with one or more of the above mentioned items.

For your vehicle in particular this is a common problem and it is usually a bad throttle body. I would first check the fuse for the throttle body. It’s located in the engine compartment fuse panel, labeled "ETCS" which stands for electronic throttle control system. It’s a 10 amp red fuse and will blow out if the throttle body draws too many amps. A high amp draw could be due to a dirty gummed up throttle bore. You can easily clean this with some throttle body cleaner, but be careful and use this sparingly because you could flood out the engine. I would recommend having a certified mechanic come take a look at your car to diagnose this acceleration problem accurately and make the necessary repairs.

3. Acceleration problems in 2004 Toyota Solara