Q: Car potentially vapor locking, not starting.

Car will not start, but it does turn over. I think I might have gotten ripped off for a new distributor and I think the car is vapor locking. What is your hourly rate?

Hello, I would doubt that you have a vapor lock problem. A vapor lock problem usually only occurs when temperatures get hot enough to make the fuel near the pump vaporize. This is not your problem because the car is not even starting and the temperatures are at normal ambient temperature. You’ll need to have a figure out which of the 3 things you’re missing. They could be ignition, compression or fuel. A technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can help you find the problem. To test for spark you will need a spark plug tester and connect the spark plug wire to the test and turn the motor over to see, if your getting spark. you can test for fuel pretty easy. If you spray some starting fluid in the carburetor and start it, and it starts but dies that means you’re not getting fuel to the carburetor. If this is the case I would test fuel pressure at the fuel pump. If you’re getting fuel and spark, there may be a issue with the timing. If you recently had the distributor replaced then they may not have the correct timing set up. A technician from YourMechanic can come and inspect your vehicle, and it shouldn’t take more than an hour to pinpoint the problem.

3. Car potentially vapor locking, not starting.