Q: I hooked jumper cables up backwards now my truck won't fire off without spraying starter fluid

asked by on February 11, 2018

I hooked up jumper cables backwards on my truck. My battery was dead. Ingot it charged now it won't start. It turns over but won't fire off unless I spray starter fluid into it but as soon as I quit spraying it it will die. I put a new fuel pump on checked fuse and relay. Why can't I get it to start?

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Determine if the fuel pump is actually running. The fuel pump should run momentarily at key on to pressurize the system. If it isn’t running, you have an electrical problem. If the pump runs momentarily as is required at key on, once starting RPM reaches a certain level a signal from the PCM commands the pump on full-time. If the reverse polarity damaged the PCM, obviously that could be the issue. To resolve this will require some electrical tests though. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an electrical diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.