Q: Truck shakes when accelerating from a stop.

My truck starts shaking when I accelerate from a complete stop. Once I get going it's fine. When I lightly press the gas it shake and when I really press the gas it revs high and barely moves like it's stuck in gear. I put a bottle of Lucas in there last night and it shifts fine, it's just getting going is the issue.

Hey there. This may be a sign of a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor or potentially low fuel pressure. The mass air flow sensor monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor.

As this reads, the air intake it relays this info to the car’s computer which then makes fuel adjustments accordingly. When this is not working properly, this can cause an unbalanced load of fuel and air to be supplied to the motor causing poor acceleration as you describe.

This may also be related to low fuel pressure, which may also cause this type of hesitation in accelerating due to the lack of adequate fuel supply to the motor as you accelerate. If you would like to have this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shaking and acceleration problem and proceed with the proper repairs.

3. Truck shakes when accelerating from a stop.