Q: Reduce oil level warning

I get a warning light on my dashboard that reads, “Reduce Oil Level” when I have been driving over 50 mph for more that 5 minutes. I get this message when driving on the freeway only – not when I am driving stop and go in town. And when I do the oil check in the morning the dashboard reads that everything is OK. Do you have any ideas on this problem? I am not sure what's going on. And one other question - at what temperature should my car be running normally?

Hello. It sounds like the oil is thinning out due to the heat of the engine when the car is operating at high speeds. This will result in the low oil sensor giving a false reading. There could also be a problem with the low oil level sensor itself giving a false reading when the car is operating at high speeds. The oil thinning out could be an indication that you need an oil change and/or that a higher quality of oil in the car is necessary. The recommended oil for you care is mobile one synthetic. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection of the warning light in order to pinpoint your problem.