Q: Oil light breifly came on then went back off and the car died and won't start up. When it did this, the engine sounded horrible.

Now when you try to start it it makes a horrible noise, belt turning but nothing else won't turn over or even try. Did need an oil change and oil was low. The oil light came on for maybe five mins blinked and then went off, bout an hr later car died in motion. Oil and batt light on. Did I blow my motor on my mail route????

Hi there. If the engine oil light was flashing and the engine was running a little rough, then there was an issue that was happening at that moment. Check the engine oil and see if the level if full or low. If the oil is low, then top off the fluids or have the oil changed with a new filter. If the engine oil light still comes on and makes the engine stall out with a strange noise, then the oil pump has failed or the oil pump pick up tube has become clogged and will not pick up any oil. To verify this, you would need hook up an oil pressure gauge to a port on the engine near the oil filter. Then start the engine. If there is no or very little oil pressure on the gauge, then the engine oil pump or pick up tube needs replaced and possibly the engine bearings need replaced as well (depending on how long the vehicle would be running with the condition). If there is good oil pressure, then the oil sending unit has failed making the ECM (computer) shut off the ignition system and fuel system to prevent any damage to the engine. If you need further assistance with your engine stalling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.