Q: Does my car have a timing belt or timing chain

My car stopped running the other day. I had it towed home and the engine will turn over but it won't start. My friend who normally works on our cars thinks it is a timing chain issue. Is my car a lost cause or is it able to be fixed?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in about your Hon...

Hello, thanks for writing in about your Honda Accord. Firstly, there is no way to know without looking your engine to check if it has a timing belt or chain. I have worked on a lot of Honda's and most of the ones I have done had chains. However, I can't give you a correct answer for that.

You car is not a lost cause. You have a good car and it won't be hard to fix it just takes a while. Make sure before you start to have an impact gun though. You will need this to make sure you don't jump the timing while putting the engine back together. In my experience, this is the most special and important tool you can have.

If you need assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home and diagnose your starting issue firsthand for an accurate repair. Good luck and I hope you get your car back on the road.