Q: ABS light, traction control light and handbrake light blink at the same time and the car jerks

asked by on February 16, 2018

It started when driving a couple weeks back and the abs and traction control light came off and on while driving and steering wheel made a obvious croaking noise whenever it was turned (figured this would be power steering low). I checked the power steering and it was fine, I never heard the steering wheel noise again. And just yesterday there was loud croaking coming from the right side of the engine, not sure where but noise was louder on driver side. Same sort of noise of the steering wheel situation but was not coming from steering wheel. Every time I accelerated or was just driving in general the noise continued. Then ABS light and traction control light came on randomly after 3 weeks from the previous steering situation. kept driving and it would turn off and on for the entirety of the drive. Then the ABS light, traction control light and handbrake light Blinked for a second all at the same time and the car jerked as if I had suddenly braked. Happened x2. Car is fine today.

It is not clear from your description if the noise you are hearing is primarily engine versus chassis (suspension, etc.) related. The origin of the noise can be pinpointed though if you request a vehicle noise diagnostic. That the ABS and traction control lights have come on mean that trouble codes have been stored. Those codes should be downloaded and evaluated in the course of a diagnostic. To give you an idea of possible faults that might be involved in these systems, and that might be the cause of the warning lights, you could have: loose electrical connections, a faulty wheel-speed sensor, a faulty steering-angle sensor, a faulty rotational-speed sensor, an issue with the steering rack, foreign matter or debris lodged in one of the wheels, or the traction/ABS control system (computer) needs to be reprogrammed. If you request Traction Control diagnostic and repair service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.