Q: Can I replace my rear flat with a donut and leave it sit on the donut for several months before replacing?

asked by on July 19, 2016

I have a flat on the driver's side rear. Can I replace it with a donut and leave it sit outside, in Florida, for several months. I need to go north and do not have the time to get the tire replaced or repaired before going.

The vehicle should be okay as long as it is not driven. The temporary spare is designed to go only 50 miles. It does not have any time limit but only a mileage limit.

It may need to be replaced when it’s exposed and gets cracks from sitting for a long period of time but it should be okay for a few months. You can try and cover it with a plastic cover to help prolong its life to shield it from sun and rain.