Q: Front brakes rattling going downhill and steering wheel shakes.

asked by on December 28, 2015

I recently replaced the disc brakes and brake pads. When I go downhill I can feel a rattling in both of my front brakes and my steering wheel shakes.

Despite having the disc brakes and brake pads replaced on your Dodge Durango, there can be other reasons that could be producing these concerns. With the front brake rattling and steering wheel shaking, it is possible there was a part of the system that wasn’t tightened down all the way or became loose causing these symptoms.

If this issue developed on your Durango gradually over a few thousand miles, it is very possible the lug nuts on the wheels have the incorrect torque. It is important when installing all wheels on a vehicle that one uses the proper tightening sequence, as well as torque, to ensure they are securely on. Failure to do this can cause the rotors on your Dodge to warp and end up costing more out of your pocket.

Another possibility you are experiencing is normal wear and tear, causing the wheels to become out of balance. Tire pressure, tire wear and broken, or missing, wheel weights can all be a cause to this. Due to your brakes causing you concern, I would classify this as a safety issue that needs to be addressed right away. I highly recommended enlisting the help of a certified mechanic to perform a brake safety inspection.