Q: Car will drive in Reverse but not Forward.

asked by on November 06, 2016

Two weeks ago the check engine light came on. The car continued to drive fine but the remote starter would not function. The check engine light went out (remote starter now works) and 2 days later the car would not drive in forward gear. The gear shift will go into all the positions, but the only gear that will engage is the Reverse gear. I tried to get a problem code with a OBD2 reader but no code was displayed on the reader. Possibly because I had disconnected the battery when the problem first started and the computer was reset. The transmission fluid was 1 1/2 quarts low but is now refilled. There were no advance signs of any transmission problems. No slippage or burnt smell. There are no signs of any fluid leakage.I feel that the car is too young to have transmission problems and there were no warnings.
That makes me think that it is a part failure. Is it a parts problem like a TCM or a transmission problem.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, the automatic transmission has 3 systems; electronic, hydraulic, and mechanical. What you described could be an internal mechanical failure with transmission. The electrical system which includes the module, will go into a default mode if there is a failure with it. This mode allows forward gears and reverse depending on what has failed. If you would like to have this diagnosed, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the shifting issue and pinpoint the problem.