Q: Clunking noise when coming to a stop

asked by on February 14, 2017

When coming to a stop, like at a traffic light, stop sign or parking, sometimes I hear a clunking noise (sometimes noises) underneath the front portion of the truck. It doesn't always happen and it's not always really loud. Sometimes it's so low, I really have to listen for it.

If you have the 4WD version of the truck with CV axles in the front, a possibility is a faulty outer CV joint. Such can often be detected on visual exam and with simple tests. Failure of the outer CV joints will cause audible clicking or clunking on turns. If the rubber boots are torn on the driveshafts (especially on the outer CV joints), that is typically an indication that there is a CV axle failure. The rear driveline u-joints could also be a source of the noise. If the noise is associated with braking, there could be loose brake components. Faulty shocks and struts are a possibility as are suspension components such as the sway bar, control am bushings and so forth. If you request a front axle noise diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic will investigate all the possibilities and resolve this for you. If the CV axle is defective, YourMechanic does remove and replace CV axles on a mobile basis. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.