Q: broken timing belt

it is a montero sport with 3.0 v6...broken timing belt, got it torn apart, ready to install new belt,,,, need to make sure the valve gears are in time, what is the way to make sure the marks are inline and valves are intime before i put on belt,,,, needs to be in TDC right? how?

A: Replacing the timing belt is not a job to t...

Replacing the timing belt is not a job to take lightly. If you have never done one before, I suggest you get a shop manual. If your belt broke while you were driving, you probable bent valves in the head. Did you find out why it broke? Belts can just break, but usually a pulley or the water pump is to blame. There are timing marks on the crank and both camshaft pulleys. There are corresponding marks on the block and heads to line them up to. Since your cams are out of time, make sure the crank is not at TDC when you rotate the cams or you could bend valves. Start with the right cam (from the vantage of looking at the engine). Get the belt roughly routed. Time the right cam to the crank. You will need spring clamps to hold the belt. Work the belt around its pulleys keeping the belt tight and in-time with all of the slack where the tensioner is. Install the tensioner, check your marks. Rotate the engine by hand clockwise two revolutions and check the marks again. If you need help replacing your timing belt consider a certified technician from YourMechanic, who can assist you with this repair.