Q: Lifespan of the battery and alternator in my car

asked by on November 17, 2016

I want to know how long do suppose to drive the car after you get a new alternator and battery

The average lifespan of a battery will depend on your geographic location and the relative weather conditions there. In extreme heat or cold conditions batteries do not last as long due to the harsh temperatures that affect the longevity of the battery life. Your alternator is not generally a part that has a "shelf life" such as a battery does.

With that said, some alternators will last 10 years or more in a vehicle and others will not last more than 5 years. As you may know, the voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the amperage supplied to the alternator. When this is not working properly, this may shorten the lifespan of the alternator as well.

If you run into any issues with your battery or alternator down the road, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location and service your battery and alternator as necessary.