Q: Auto headlight sensor is too sensitive - 2013 Dodge Ram 3500

asked by on September 08, 2016

When I have my automatic headlights switched to on they will come on in the middle of the day when it is still sunny out. It is a little dangerous as the display and dash will auto dim with the headlights. I have to manually turn the headlights to off to correct the problem. I wonder if there is a way to adjust the sensitivity on these sensors?

Hello. The sun sensor is on the top of your dash and should be in clear view of the sky. If it is dirty, covered up, or you have tinted the windshield, then it may cause erratic operation. You could clean the sensor with a clean cloth and make sure you have your dash dimmer on the brightest setting so the dash will not get too dim when it does turn on headlights. If you still have issues, then have the system tested and sensor replaced if necessary.