Q: Car burning oil between oil changes.

My car is burning through oil at a rapid rate between oil changes.

When an engine is burning oil at a very rapid rate, a few different things could be the cause. A broken valve or insufficient valve guide can cause oil to drop onto the piston and therefore will get burned when it is running. Faulty piston rings can also allow engine oil to pass by them into the combustion chamber as well burning more oil. I would recommend having a compression test done to ensure the integrity of the piston rings. Have this service done professionally from YourMechanic as this task can be difficult on some vehicles.

3. Car burning oil between oil changes.