Q: Door locks but does not unlock with key remote

I recently bought a replacement car key and had both keys recoded at my local Audi dealership (£250+). 2 days later I noticed the drivers lock had stopped responding to the key code for opening. It continues to lock from the code but I now need to manually use the key to open the door. I returned the car believing further coding may be needed - however the dealership is saying I need to replace the drivers door lock at £350! - I'm struggling to understand that having had no previous symptoms for 8 years, why its not connected to the key coding since the code does lock the door and I can open the lock manually with the key. Can you help straighten my head on this?

A: If the door unlocks with the remote, then t...

If the door unlocks with the remote, then the car and the keys are communicating, so there has to be another fault that is preventing the lock from working correctly. It could be a problem with the door lock module, but mechanical failures are far more common. The locks have a lot of tiny plastic parts that break under normal use, as do the lock actuators so it’s not unheard of that there would be failures with no apparent warning. If you have trouble trusting the dealer on this issue, you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office and check out your door lock system and tell you what it’s going to take to fix it.