Q: Do I have a damaged head gasket?

asked by on October 25, 2016

Lately my car has been running hot but the temperature hand never reflect it. When i drive it smoke comes from under hood(passenger side). When i stop driving and park it sounds like a lot pressure has been released and water leaks from driver side. Please help i know absolutely nothing about cars. I'm thinking head gasket. My car has an automatic transmission.

Hi there. This can be a bad head gasket or it may be something much smaller. If the coolant temperature gauge is staying in the normal range then it may just have a leak in the system. If there is a leaking hose or another leak, then this will occur. It can also be a radiator cap that is not holding pressure. This engine is also notorious for having intake manifold gasket leaks. I usually pressure test the system first to check for leaks. If there are none, I check and make sure that the cooling system is functioning properly as the coolant may not be circulating. If all of that looks fine, then I do a block test to see if it has a head gasket problem. If you want to have this overheating issue checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the overheating problem and assist with repairs.