Q: Engine will not turn. Neither key cranks.

The anti-theft system light blinks rapidly when trying to start the truck. Engine will not turn and I had to replace a bad battery. Now, neither key cranks the vehicle.

A: Anti-theft systems are great deterrents for...

Anti-theft systems are great deterrents for would be thieves. However, when the system malfunctions, the owner of the vehicle is left out in the cold. Unfortunately, it is highly likely that the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) in your Explorer has “forgotten” the key codes allowed to start your engine. Although rare, this can occur after a battery dies. Sadly, the only solution is to either have the vehicle towed to your local Ford dealership, or find a mobile locksmith capable of programming the engine computer on sight. In either case, make sure you have all of keys with you, as each one will have to be reintroduced to the anti-theft system. Only the keys present will be considered valid to start the engine. If you have a roadside assistance plan, you may want to contact them to see if they offer such services.