Q: Brakes issue

asked by on February 13, 2017

Got a 2012 Nissan Altima, 4 door. Bought it used. The brakes are squealing something awful. I need to prepare for the cost of getting them replaced. How much could something like that cost for rear brakes?

The squealing might be due to the brake bad wear indicators contacting the rotors. That noise alerts you to the need to install new brake pads. Regarding the cost, there are a few variables affecting the cost. If you are installing new brake pads you have to decide between aftermarket versus OEM (OEM is preferred) pads. The pads can only be installed at the same time that the brake rotors are re-surfaced or replaced and all moving components in the brake assembly must be cleaned and re-lubricated with high temperature brake grease as well. If you want new OEM (dealer) rotors, the parts cost will be higher. OEM rotors are always going to be better than aftermarket rotors. Typically, if the existing calipers have 75,000 or more miles on them, it is best to replace then with high quality remanufactured calipers to avoid sticky caliper operation which will often ruin new pads and rotors, however, that is your choice as well (assuming the calipers still appear serviceable; sometimes they are not due to corrosion and seal failure). If you would like a careful evaluation of your vehicle’s brake system, performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a brake safety inspection and the responding certified mechanic will address any and all concerns that you have and then list for you all brake parts that must be re-conditioned or replaced in order to restore your brake system to like new condition. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.