Q: Gears freezing up stiff on 2005 Audi A3 Quattro

I’m having problems with shifting gears in my Quattro. It’s impossible to shift into reverse when the car is running. And when I try to shift into first and second gears it’s very hard to do. The gears are really stiff. They work but they are so stiff like they're freezing up. Do you know what’s casing this? How can I fix it?

Hello. Most of the time this is caused by a failing clutch or the hydraulic system that may be failing. I usually start by checking the transmission fluid first. If the fluid is old or burnt and broken down, then this will occur. If the fluid level and condition is fine, then I check the hydraulic system for leaks and for the proper movement. If that is fine, then the clutch needs to be replaced. Have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your gear shifting issue in person in order to have this correctly resolved.

3. Gears freezing up stiff on 2005 Audi A3 Quattro