Q: Rebuilt engine rough idle and wanting to die.

The engine in my car was rebuilt last spring and it is now past the break-in period. I was told it would need some fine tuning once the parts had time to settle in, so-to-speak. It has always idled rough, but lately when you kick the cold idle down the car wants to die, especially when put into gear.

A: The carburetor may need to be rebuilt or ad...

The carburetor may need to be rebuilt or adjusted. The EGR system may also be causing the rough idle due to the EGR partly stuck open. The only way to isolate which one is causing the issue would be to have a qualified mechanic check to see if the EGR is stuck open. If the EGR is ok then the carburetor fuel metering motor is not working or the carburetor needs serviced.