Q: Spare wheel well is full of water, what gives?

asked by on November 19, 2015

I have had an unusual amount of water leak into my 2015 Jeep Cherokee. I understand that water can get in when you enter or exit in the rain or spill something, but I found a puddle inches deep of water in my spare wheel well. This is beyond unacceptable, especially at 1,400 miles old. Rust and mildew are two issues that spring to mind. What on earth can I do about this problem? What would even cause this to happen?

You should have the water leak found and fixed as soon as possible so that rust or mildew does not affect the interior of your Jeep. There are two main places that may be leaking. If you have a roof rack, then the bolts that hold the rails might not have gotten enough sealer before installation. This would allow water into the passenger compartment through the bolts threads. To fix this issue the dealer will have to remove each bolt and add sealer. The other possible issue if the sunroof drain tubes have been pinched or misrouted during installation. The inside roof liner and side panels would need to be removed to gain access to drain hoses and they would be rerouted as necessary.