Q: Power steering noise after pressure hose replaced

asked by on October 06, 2017

I just had a high pressure hose replaced on my power steering pump. Since getting my car back, its making a terrible noise. The mechanic that fixed it told me it could be air trapped in the line and after I drive it , it'll stop. Its now been 4 days and it still sounds terrible but the noise does stop after the car is drove about 15 mins...then its fine the rest of the day. Another mechanic told me it maybe my power steering pump that has went out now but would the noise stop after driving it if it was the pump?

Anytime you blow out a major power steering hose you may have damaged the pump from lack of lubrication but also when work to replace the hose is done the system will get trapped air in the system fluid and may take a week or longer for the trapped air to be released. If problem does not go away after a week of driving or start improving then you should have the fluid reservoir filter screen checked for blockage since it will starve the pump for fluid when the fluid is cold and may flow better when it gets warm and thinner. You may need to have reservoir cleaned or replaced if screen is blocked. If it is not blocked and fluid does not look like it is full of bubbles then a replacement pump will be needed.