Q: 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 will not shift out of first gear. If you press on the gas pedal and then let off, the transmission would shift.

2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 will not shift out of first gear. Started off, you had to rever up rpms let off it woluld shift to second only... I don't think it would shift out of second.... what could be the problem & what to do to solve problem? This truck belongs to my just turned 18 year old g'son... Any advice will be appreciated

Hi there. The transmission is not shifting for the transmission speed sensor could have failed. This is the reason why when the throttle is let off and then the transmission shifts gear. The speed sensor is not communicating to the computer. Go under the vehicle and locate the rear of the transmission. Put a oil pan under the transmission output shaft housing and remove the sensor in the housing. This sensor is the transmission speed sensor (or vehicle speed sensor). Clean the sensor and make sure that there is no metal on the magnet. Then put the sensor back in and top off any oil that may have leaked out. If you need further assistance with your transmission not shifting out of 1st gear, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 will not shift out of first gear. If you press on the gas pedal and then let off, the transmission would shift.