Q: Carburetor backfiring and won't hold cold start.

The carburetor is backfiring and won't hold a cold start fast idle. Other problems include carburetor leaking, wet throttle plates, bowl levels would drop overnight.

Hi. It sounds like you are having some carburetor problems. Im going to guess you have a Holley or a Edlebrock. They both have been known to have many problems. I finally decided to get rid of my Holleys and obtained a Dominator, I have been relieved ever since. Your problem sounds like the needle and seat may have something stuck in them causing them not to seal off correctly. As a result, your fuel bowls are flooding the carburetor with fuel. At the same time, your choke might not be set correctly and may be stuck closed causing further flooding. I would recommend having a certified technician inspect what is causing your carburetor malfunction. Also, if it has sat for a while, you may be better off having the carburetor replaced by a certified mechanic to eliminate any further problems with your vehicle.