In a 2005 Lexus es330 How do you turn off the check engin...

Q: In a 2005 Lexus es330 How do you turn off the check engine light once fuel cap has been replaced and is on securely?

asked by on August 25, 2017

My check engine light came on so my husband and I took the car to autozone to see what was wrong, after the guy plugged the code machine thingy in he said the code that popped up stated that it was the gas cap not on securely but my husband had already tightened it before we got to autozone, so the worker told us if it doesn't go off after a few drives then the gas cap needs to be replaced. I bought a new gas cap and put it on today (8/25/2017) Do I need to turn the light off manually or should it go off automatically? If automatically how many drives is it going to take before it goes off? I've driven the car twice now and the light is still on. Please help.

Hi there. Unfortunately, a plug & play code reader cannot determine the fault that has set the check engine light. The codes that the parts person pulled are most likely what are called evaporative emissions codes ( these codes pertain to the system that controls fuel vapors). This system includes all hoses and connections from the gas cap to the fuel tank to the engine. A proper diagnosis inspection is required to accurately diagnose the fault that caused the stored codes. When the engine computer detects a fault (a reading that is out of specifications) it stores a code and illuminates the check engine light. However, the computer does not know what caused the fault; it performs a test and the test failed. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a [check engine light inspection}(https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/check-engine-light-is-on-inspection).