Q: Car won't start and doesn't have normal power

My boyfriend hooked up subs, so he had to disconnect the battery to get power to it and he dropped a bolt to the battery under the hood and couldn't find it so he went to get a new one and hooked it back up and it wouldn't start back up. Then I found out that the interior lights and power locks wouldn't work.

Thanks for writing in today about the issue with your Saturn. Without being there to physically inspect the car, it’s very hard to give you a precise diagnosis, but one common problem that occurs when people install accessory items like sub-woofers or stereo components is they forget to run a ground wire. Another possibility is a short in the electrical system that may have occurred once they reattached the battery. This will cause many relay fuses to pop.

The first thing I’d suggest is to make sure the wiring for the subs were run correctly, and that there are no frayed or open wires close to metal that could cause a short. Then check all fuses, and replace any fuses that have burn’t out. If that doesn’t work, contact a local ASE certified mechanic to show up and diagnose the car’s starting problem for you.

3. Car won't start and doesn't have normal power