Q: Why does my motor go from running to just dead?

asked by on November 05, 2015

I have a problem with my 2010 Volkswagen Jetta stalling at random times when the vehicle is MOVING! It's not normal to have a catastrophic failure when driving a car that's not even five years old and has fewer than 45,000 miles on it. This isn’t a permanent issue as the car will start right back up after stalling, but the results could be disastrous if it happens on a busy road! What can I do to diagnose the problem and get it fixed?

There are no recalls or technical service bulletins (TSB) for the stalling while driving complaint, however there have been other owners who’ve had similar drivability issues. The fuel pump relay may have an intermittent open circuit, causing you to lose fuel pressure which makes the engine stall. There have also been transmission torque converter and transmission failures which cause stalling as well. The engine’s computer should be scanned for codes to see if a problem is evident. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect your car to diagnose a cause for the stalling and estimate any costs for repairs.