Q: Blower motor switch...and the blow motor the same thing?

asked by on May 26, 2017

My AC / Heat will sometimes switch off an on. In the winter I would drive and suddenly the heat would shut off for 30 seconds or so and then come back on, has progressively gotten worse. Now with the summer soon approaching, the AC will sometimes shut off for days and then suddenly kick on again. If the car has been sitting overnight, it will usually work in the morning. Seems like the hotter it is outside the less likely it is to work, even though this probably has no correlation lol. I've had the vehicle looked at by a Ford Dealership...the lady who looked at my vehicle says it was a blower motor. Does this sound right? Also is a blower motor switch and blower motor the same?

The blower motor and/or blower motor resistor (two different parts that work together) may have failed causing the symptoms you are experiencing. The blower motor switch is the actual switch or button on the dash that you use to increase or decrease the fan speed. The blower motor IS the fan. The blower motor resistor is what allows the fan to work at different speeds as opposed to just off and on. Usually the motor and resistor are replaced at the same time to ensure that the issue is fully corrected. Consider YourMechanic as your blower motor can be replaced at your home or office.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr