Q: Ignition switch will not turn on.

asked by on October 22, 2016

My daugther put mech pencil lead into ignition switch this morning. Now key won't turn. Have looked inside cylinder used paper clip a/w w-40 in attempt to remove the object. Called AAA who instructed me jiggled key, put foot on brake & turning steering wheel & still nothing. They said could also have it towed or send a comm. locksmith.

Ignition Switch Replacement $160.91 - $807.33 Get a Quote

Hello and thank you for your question. For this, you will need to disconnect you battery and remove the steering wheel and airbag assembly. In the steering column, you will see where the ignition switch is located and you will see a lock on it. Use something like a pen to push down on the lock and push out the ignition switch. When the switch is out, take the switch and tap it against something hard, like the concrete, to have the pencil come out of the switch. Then put the key in the switch and work it to make it functional. Turn the key to lower the lock and install the ignition back into the column. Install the steering wheel and airbag. Hook up the battery and turn the key. Your vehicle should start up like it did before. If you need assistance with your ignition switch, then seek out a professional, preferably a YourMechanic professional to help you with your vehicle.