Q: Truck acts like it is not getting gas

I have to pour gas into the intake manifold to start my truck up. Then, after the gas has evaporated, the truck dies. If you press the gas pedal to keep it running, the truck gives out like it is not getting any gas. I pulled the fuel lines off of the injector rails, and gasoline still squirts out.

A: We need to find out if you have sufficient ...

We need to find out if you have sufficient fuel pressure. You should see the fuel spraying out when you’re trying to start the car. If it is barely coming out, then you probably don’t have enough fuel pressure; you need to check the fuel pressure regulator.

If you take the vacuum line off and see fuel leaking from the vacuum port, then the valve is bad and needs to be replaced. If that is good, then I would put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel port; you should have 47 to 51 PSI at the test port. If you don’t have that much pressure, I would remove and replace the fuel filter and test it again. If there is still not enough pressure, then your fuel pump is bad. A technician from YourMechanic can come out and perform these tests if you do not have the tools, or if you don’t feel comfortable. Working with high pressure fuel can be dangerous, and should be performed by a train technician.