Q: Car not starting due to battery, starter, or alternator.

My car will not start. I believe it is either the battery, starter, or alternator.

When your car will not start, it is natural to assume it is due to a bad battery or starter. Since your car is a newer vehicle, it is very likely that it is one of these two components that is causing the startup problem and your assumption is in the right place. Now the alternator does not actually assist with starting the vehicle, but once the car is running, the alternator does run all the car’s electronics and keep the battery charged.

There are a couple of ways to test for a bad battery or starter. Go ahead and try turning the car’s key to the on position. Notice if your gauge clusters light up nice and bright. Now turn on your Juke’s headlight to the on position and notice if they too are strong and bright. If you experience dim or lack of lights from either of these tests, then your car’s battery is low on voltage and you may just need a jumpstart to being moving again. If the lights are strongly illuminated, go and head and turn the key to start the engine. Take notice of any noise you may here. Does the vehicle turn over like normal? If you experience a clicking noise, one click or nothing at all, then it is possible the starter has failed the vehicle.

Now, if after these tests your car has battery power and the starter sounds healthy, we may have to look else where. It is possible, that the issue lies outside of the battery and starter, so it is always a good idea to explore all the reasons as to why you are experiencing these problems with your Juke. In a situation where your vehicle will not start, it is best to enlist the help of a certified technician to properly diagnose your vehicle.