Q: Clutch not disengaging

When I was driving my car down the road and was getting ready to stop. I noticed the clutch wouldn't disengage thus not allowing me to shift at all. I got it home by towing and checked to see if I still had brake fluid and It was still full. Also checked to see if their might be a leak in the slave and master cylinder. Found no fluids coming out. I also thought to see if anything might be bent or broken but didn't see any thing that could warren a problem. I thought I would ask and see if any one might be able to narrow down the problem.

The first thing to check is to have someone push in the clutch several times to see if the clutch slave cylinder is pushing in the pressure plate inside the transmission. You can see this happening by looking through the inspection cover.

If the clutch is being pushed in and out, then you may have a bad pressure plate and need the clutch replaced. If you do not see the slave cylinder moving at all or very little, then you may have a bad clutch master cylinder if it is full of fluid. Check the linkage above the clutch pedal to ensure that the linkage is not broken or loose. I’d recommend having a professional mechanic inspect your clutch system, they will be able to accurately diagnose the issue and make any necessary fixes for your vehicle.