Q: Loss of control over vehicle on a bumpy road

I've purchased this pre-owned car with 96,000 miles on it. Since I bought it, I usually drove it on the highway and it ran well. However, recently I drove the car on a bit rough and bumpy road. I was worried I would lose control over the vehicle, as it became badly unstable. It was shaking and pulling to sides when I drove over bumps. What could becausing this?

Hello. There are several things that could be causing this problem. The struts of the SUV could be weak or bad causing unstableness. The upper and lower control arms, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods may be worn out and the sway bar links could be broken. To have this checked, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, can come and complete an inspection of the suspension in order to pinpoint the problem and make necessary repairs.