There's a clank sound in axel area, car won't start sudde...

Q: There's a clank sound in axel area, car won't start suddenly, and power steering fluid seems to spin more than usual.

asked by on August 01, 2017

Hi, I wasn't in town for two weeks and came back to my car not starting. It has done this in the past, but we fixed it by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. I was able to turn it back on and use the car for a few days, then it died suddenly. Before this issue started, there's been a clank sound from the front passenger side. The clank sound started after we replace CV joint boot. The sound occurs durning left and right turns and when I go over bumps. My last concern is the power steering reservoir, the fluid seems to be spinning more than usual and I'm not sure if that can turn into a future issue.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be having several issues at once. You want to start by addressing the starting problem, as it is the most likely to cause issues with other systems in the car. Start by having your battery and alternator tested. You can do it in the vehicle, or remove them and take them to most automotive parts stores for testing. With those passing all tests, reinstall and make sure the electrical connections are clean, dry, and tight. Secondly, check the tension on the drive belt. It is responsible for working the alternator and the power steering pump. If it is loose, the car will stall and malfunction. As for the clunking noise, check the condition of the control arm, all rubber bushings, ball joints, and tie rods. For more help with diagnostics, contact our service department.