Q: My car is cranking but not starting - 2003 Chevrolet Malibu

I asked a question on 9/20/2016 about this problem. I am getting fuel { fuel pressure 52 psi with key on}. Power and ground to coil pack good. 7X crankshaft position sensor registering .02 V AC when cranking. This car was running perfectly before i put it in storage 5 years ago.

A: Hi there. If you’ve kept the vehicle in sto...

Hi there. If you’ve kept the vehicle in storage for five years and it was not started during that time, it’s possible that the fuel inside the tank has gone bad. Gasoline, like anything that is refined for use, has a shelf life. When gasoline goes bad, it can be very difficult to vaporize correctly, which negatively impacts combustion. Before you contact a local mechanic to complete an inspection, drain the fuel cell, replace your spark plugs and plug wires, and double check the distributor cap for any cracks and see if that helps start the vehicle.

If you need additional assistance, I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is not starting and suggest the necessary repairs.