Q: why doesnt my fuel gauge show me how much gas is in the tank?

When I pump gas my fuel gauge doesn't show how much gas is in the tank. Why?

There are 3 components, and wiring involved in a fuel gauge on your car. There is a fuel level sensor, also called a sending unit, the PCM (main engine computer) and the instrument panel.

The fuel level sensor is mounted in the fuel tank aside the fuel pump. It is the most likely part to cause your issue. Wires go from it to the PCM, and the PCM communicates the fuel level to the fuel gauge in the cluster. Any one of these parts, or wiring, can cause the gauge not to work. The problem will need to be diagnosed, and the repair made. If you would like a quote, consider YourMechanic. We come to you.

3. why doesnt my fuel gauge show me how much gas is in the tank?