Q: Using oil blend on a car that requires synthetic oil

I have a well-maintained car with close to 60,000 miles that I take regularly for oil change and service. I change the oil every 7,500 miles on average. At previous oil changes, the mechanic used synthetic oil. This time however, he used a blend. According to the manual, the synthetic oil should be used. I was told by the dealer that this is optional for this model. Is this true? Could this damage the engine in any way?

Looking at the information for your vehicle, it does not say that synthetic oil is required. Using a synthetic blend will be just fine. You can also switch back and forth between synthetic and non-synthetic without doing any damage. If for some reason, I’m incorrect and your manual does say it requires synthetic, using a blend won’t hurt anything. Just switch back to synthetic at your next oil change. I also suggest calling the team at YourMechanic for your next oil service since we make house calls.