Q: Using oil blend on a car that requires synthetic oil

I have a well-maintained car with close to 60,000 miles that I take regularly for oil change and service. I change the oil every 7,500 miles on average. At previous oil changes, the mechanic used synthetic oil. This time however, he used a blend. According to the manual, the synthetic oil should be used. I was told by the dealer that this is optional for this model. Is this true? Could this damage the engine in any way?

A: Looking at the information for your vehicle...

Looking at the information for your vehicle, it does not say that synthetic oil is required. Using a synthetic blend will be just fine. You can also switch back and forth between synthetic and non-synthetic without doing any damage. If for some reason, I’m incorrect and your manual does say it requires synthetic, using a blend won’t hurt anything. Just switch back to synthetic at your next oil change. I also suggest calling the team at YourMechanic for your next oil service since we make house calls.