Q: when I cut the wheel all the way on my truck it slows me down and I have to give it a decent amount of gas to get it to move

asked by on November 29, 2016

It does not matter if I am backing into a parking or making a sharp turn cutting the wheel al the way makes my truck slow down or come to a stop. If I am backing up I have to push the gas really hard for the truck to keep moving. Why is that?

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Due to the fact this major loss of power only happens when turning, it is likely the assisted steering that is straining the engine. The power steering system is powered by the engine and drive belts. The drive belt turns the power steering pump which provides the assistance when turning. When the power steering pump robs the engine of its energy, the engine will have to work harder. It may feel like the vehicle wants to stall or is locked up. The steering linkage beyond the steering gear box is also critical. If it has been damaged in anyway, the steering would get harder or be shaky. The steering components, most likely the power steering pump, is causing the engine issues while turning. Do some further testing to pinpoint what the cause is.