Key coming right out of ignition v6-3.2l keys 2000 batter...

Q: Key coming right out of ignition

asked by on February 05, 2016

My key comes right out of the ignition without turning the car off. Also, the battery dies every other day and I have to jumpstart the car to get it started.

If your key comes out of the ignition switch while the engine is on or in the on position, the ignition switch could be faulty and may require replacement. If not repaired, this issue could start to cause other electrical issues later on.

As for the dead battery issue, you may have a parasitic draw on your vehicle that is draining the battery overnight. A parasitic draw is something that is still using charge from the battery while the vehicle is off. Wiring issues are usually discovered with this symptom. In fact, the ignition switch itself may be what is causing your battery to drain. I would recommend starting by replacing the ignition switch and see if your symptoms change. If the symptoms persist, have an experienced mechanic run an inspection to find the cause of your battery drain.