Q: Someone poured corn syrup in my son's Jeep Sahara 2013. How long does it take to run through to the fuel pump? Police are looking

asked by on July 27, 2017

How long does it take corn syrup to move through a gas tank & lines to get to the fuel pump? Car was vandalized. Trying to get a time frame for the police. Car is at mechanic now.

Hi there. Sorry to hear this has happened to you. Generally speaking, when sugar or syrup is poured into a fuel tank, the best way to reduce damage to internal engine components is to remove the fuel tank and fuel pump and replace them, as the problem with corn syrup is that it will coat the fuel tank and fuel lines and take months or longer to fully dissolve. The fuel pump is attached inside the fuel tank, so mixed corn syrup instantly is sucked into the fuel pump and through the fuel system upon activating the fuel pump.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr