Q: Car making a low noticeable sound at speeds between 55 km/hr to 70km/hr.

asked by on December 02, 2016

My car makes a low but noticeable noise when I am driving it in a nearly constant speed from 55km/hr to 70km/hr. when I am in between these two speeds and when the car gradually comes to a nearly constant speed, it makes noise which stops if I don't press the accelerator pedal. Once I start to press the accelerator pedal slowly and not at once, it again starts to make that noise till I exceed the speed to 70km/hr and above. Above 70km/hr the noise stops. Also my car starts to make that noise after I have driven it for sometime and the engine is relatively hot (when it is midway between hot and cold). There isn't any warning lights coming on in the dashboard. The noise is like those of when you stop a turning motor and the noise it makes while it comes to a stop. Thank you everyone for your help in advance. Been having headache with this. Cheers

Hi there:

Diagnosing ’noises’ remotely is one of the more difficult things to do for any mechanic. However, there are a few things which could cause this noise, ranging from loose motor mounts, loose serpentine or drive belt, pulley’s or even wheel or front end suspension issues. The best way to diagnose any problem is to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection; so they can ride with you to attempt and replicate the noise; which will help them pinpoint the source of the noise and recommend the right repairs be completed.